Julie Van Campen lead a diverse group of volunteers from the Maryland Conservation Corp,
Mountain Christian Church Second Saturday community Serve, Boy Scouts, Friends of Jerusalem Mill
and other organizations, during over 25 separate work days to scrap, sand, spackle, prime and paint
the rooms within the Tenant Farmer’s House (see attached pictures below).
The Civilian Conservation Corp installed a horseshow shaped drainage system around the house to
successfully address water seepage into the basement. A reproduction period loom was assembled
in the front room of the tenant house and extensive work was started to completely renovate
theplumbing and overhaul the bathroom this coming summer.
3. Bank Barn: The Percy Lee Dairy Farm bank barn was one of the largest stone/wooden
barns in Harford County and was built by Jerusalem Mill owner David Lee most likely
between 1798 and 1810. Using matching funds from the Preservation Maryland and the
Maryland Historical Trust, the Friends of Jerusalem Mill commissioned an extensive
"Reconstruction Assessment Report" of the bank barn and adjacent pumphouse completed
December 31 2009 by Jeffrey A. Lees, AIA. Excess vegetation from years of neglect
engulfed the bank barn. Harry Sanders led many workdays to clear the vegetation
around the bank barn, but, it was not until 20 May 2012 that a comprehensive clearing
of the site was complete (see attached pictures below).
Volunteers from Friends of Jerusalem Mill with funding from the Percy Lee Dairy Farm Foundation
and labor donated by the Mountain Christian Church Second Saturday Serve/ServFest completed a
numberof improvements to include: (1) installed a protective fence alongside the bankbarn;
(2) installed temporary 6" by 6" post supports in all the windows and two original doors;
(3) Preston Jones, Eagle Scout Candidate installed a new 16’ foot entrance gate;
(4) display for period farm equipment;
(5) fabricate a custom concrete well cap for the hand-dug well next to the pumphouse;
(see attached pictures below).
Mike and Matt Danberry of Old World Stone Masonry inspected the stone walls of the bank barn
and confirmed Jeffrey Lees determination that the walls were well built, not fire damaged and can be
restored. Mike and Matt recently completed a number of emergency repairs to the stone structures
to include the repairs to the collapsed opening on the north wall and the replacing missing stones at
the both back corners (see attached pictures below on left).
4. Trails: A project with the Conservation Job Corp was approved in Jun 2012 and a trail
connecting the Jerusalem Mill Village to the Jericho Covered Bridge alongside the bankbarn
was started (see attached pictures below). The Maryland Conservation Corp GFSP crew
completed the entrance of this trail from Jericho Road in spring 2013. This project will be
continued in summer of 2013 until complete.
5. Grounds: The Percy Lee Dairy Farm Foundation purchased a Bobcat zero turn mower and received
donations of other tools and equipment to maintain the grounds to the proper requirements of
Department of Natural Resources. Arrangements have been made to harvest the hay on the fields
behind the bank barn and planning has started to invest in twenty-five bee hives along the Little
Gunpowder River behind also behind the bank barn.